VANS in Residence
in partnership with DesBrisay Museum Winter 2020
Artist Application Guidelines
Eligibility: VANS in Residence accepts applications from professional visual artists who are live/work in NS and are a member in good standing with VANS. All media will be considered. The artist must be willing and able to commit 40 hours per week to the 4-week residency and to the 1-week planning. The residency must take place between February 17 and March 30, 2020
Eligible projects: Residencies are available for research, development and production of ongoing or new bodies of work. The selected artist for this residency may create work. Artists are responsible for ensuring any they have any equipment necessary to their work.
Selection: The resident artists will be selected by a committee made up of VANS staff and representatives from DesBrisay. Applicants will be notified of results By January 10, 2020.
Application deadline: Applications must be received by December 20, 2019
Artists must submit the following:
· Artist Statement (1 paragraph)
· Residency Outline including community engagement component (1-2 pages) This should include ideas for workshops and public engagement sessions, a basic timeline for the 4 weeks
· Artist Resume
· Documentation of Work (max 10 images)
· Artists who are not PAINTS artists, please provide a paragraph describing your experience facilitating work with groups in community (intergenerational and/or youth)
Fees: There is no application fee. You must be a member in good standing of Visual Arts Nova Scotia.
Documentation of work requirements: Current work is requested. The nature of the work sample submitted should correspond to the nature of the work proposed during the residency. JPGs of work should be included with your emailed submission, or a link to a website may be included.
Location: The DesBrisay/VANS residency program will take place in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia. Studio space will be provided at the DesBrisay Museum, located at 130 Jubilee Road. Living accommodations, if needed, will be provided within the town of Bridgewater. Some work may also take place in area schools, libraries and community centres.
Artist Selection Criteria
The following are points of focus in the assessment of artists’ applications:
· Strength of the applicant’s artistic practice & professionalism.
· Level of experience and interest in working with youth and in community collaborations. This is especially important if you are not already a member of the PAINTS program.
· The articulation of the vision and goals for the residency, relating to both the artist’s own work and the community collaborations.