VANS In Residence Halifax - Wonder'neath Guidelines
Eligibility: VANS in Residence accepts applications from professional visual artists who are live/work in NS and are a member in good standing with VANS. All media will be considered. The artist must be willing and able to commit 40 hours per week to the 5-week planning and residency.
Please note, for this residency priority will be given to BIPOC individuals and 2SLGBTQIA+ artists.
Residencies may be used for research, development and production of ongoing or new bodies of work. The selected artist for this residency may create work. Artists are responsible for ensuring any they have any equipment necessary to their work.
Selection: The resident artists will be selected by a committee made up of PAINTS Committee and community members. .
Application deadline: Must be received by Jan 18, 2021. Applicants will be notified by Jan 25, 2021.
· Artist Statement (1 paragraph)
· Residency Outline including community engagement component (1-2 pages) This should include ideas for workshops and public engagement sessions, a basic timeline for the 3 weeks in residence and the 1 week planning.
· Artist Resume
· Documentation of Work (max 10 images)
· Artists who are not PAINTS artists, please provide a paragraph describing your experience facilitating work with groups in community (intergenerational and/or youth)
Fees: There is no application fee. You must be a member in good standing of Visual Arts Nova Scotia. To join, click here.
The artist will be paid $500/week for the prep week and the three (3) residency weeks. There is a budget for materials for the outreach workshops/events of up to $400.
Documentation of work requirements: Current work is requested. The nature of the work sample submitted should correspond to the nature of the work proposed during the residency. JPGs of work should be included with your emailed submission, or a link to a website may be included.
Location: This residency will take place in Halifax and be based at a dedicated studio space in the Wondr'neath space at 2482 Maynard St. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, the outreach will be done by distance. This may involve online platforms, as well as ‘analog’ kits or prompts that can be distributed to community members. Artist talks or other presentations will also take place online.
Artist Selection Criteria:
·Strength of the applicant’s artistic practice & professionalism.
· Level of experience and interest in working with youth and in community collaborations. This is especially important if you are not already a member of the PAINTS program.
· The articulation of the vision and goals for the residency, relating to both the artist’s own work and the community collaborations.